Monday, April 25, 2011

Tie-dyed Easter Eggs



I saw this a few years ago here and have wanted to try them, but have cringed every time I go to cut up a tie. But luckily my bro-in-law had a ton of ties he didn't want any more. So this year I took the plunge and did it. I think they turned out awesome. Our Best Bites has some great ideas for everything and I also made their wonderful Cadbury mini egg cookies too this weekend.


Start with a 100% silk tie. DI or Good Will has some really ugly ones, they are best.


Then you wrap the uncooked egg with the good side touching the egg. Try to get as much contact with the egg as possible. When it is the folds that touch it leaves a swirly look(that is still cool) but not the print. Then twist tie or use string to make it tight.


Here are my eggs. I did try tying one at both ends to get the print to look better and I thought it turned out great.


Then you wrap them again in an old sheet or pillow case that you have, and twist tie again.


Then place in pan of water that covers them completely with 1/4 c. of vinegar. And boil for 20 minutes. (Note these are not safe to eat.)


Then let them cool to touch out of the water and unwrap. This is that chain tie I showed you at the beginning. I need to get better at tying them, because that light blue part is where the tie wasn't touching as well.


This is the one I tied at both ends to get a good contact with the egg.


Make sure you go check out Our Best Bites if any of my instructions didn't make any sense. They are great at laying it out for you to understand.

Also...we have a new addition to our house this weekend. Donut is our newest pet/friend. The boys love her.


Hope you all had a great Easter weekend.

2 comments:

Juli said...

Wow! I wouldn't have ever thought to use ties!!! So creative! And I love the bunny. I bet your kids are loving it.

Barbara M. said...

I left a comment yesterday, but it's not here. What a great idea. Can't believe it turned out just like the tie. What fun! Cute bunny, too. Why donut?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...