Wednesday, May 4, 2011

{Simple Adjustable Apron}



Aprons are great. They make great gifts too.
So with Mother's Day coming up I decided to put together a little tutorial
for you all to make one or two for the moms in your lives.

I like my aprons SIMPLE....no ruffles, laces, or bows for me.
I am NOT a froo-froo kinda gal.
I just really like these kind of aprons and they are
GREAT for kids....easy to take on and off....not rings or ties to bug ya up at the neck

I MAY OR MAY NOT be making these to give as gifts for Mother's Day (wink...wink!!!!)

What you'll need:
2 kinds of fabric (one for the front and one for the back)
thread
sewing machine
iron
ironing board
large safety pin
scissors

Step 1: Make a Pattern
I originally just traced the apron I wear when I cut hair and just tweaked it a little.
I like to make my patterns out of butcher paper. If you don't have butcher paper and are wondering what to use you could use newspaper or wrapping paper.

Here's my measurements (you can adjust them to fit the person better)


Step 2: Cut out pattern
*Cut 2 main apron pieces
( I used 2 different fabrics(the teal flower & brown polka dots but you could use one if you'd like)

*Cut 3 inch strips that will be sewn together to make the tie
(I just use the leftover material for this)

Step 3: Pin pieces of apron right side together.


Step 4: Now you are ready to sew

in case you were wondering.....I used 1/4 inch seams just because that's what
my machine is usually set to for my quilting.


*You are going to sew along the edges but make sure to leave openings for the casing for the tie. The picture shows you where to and not to sew


As you can see from the picture I start on the bottom and work my way around.

Step 5: Turn to the right side
Using the opening on the bottom turn apron to the right side and iron seams flat
Make sure to tuck in the raw edges from ALL the openings(there should be 5) and iron them flat
After ironing your apron should look this this.......

Step 6: Top stitch close to edge all the way around....
but don't sew your holes shut on the sides and top. If you do you'll be HATING life cause when you go to put your tie in you'll realize there is not hole for it and then you have to pull out the handy-dandy trusty seam ripper and trust me you DON'T want to do that!!! (you don't have to so this step but I think it just gives it a more finished look)

Step 7: Sew casing
Sew about 1.25 inches from the edge to form a pocket for the tie to reside in.


Step 8: Make the tie
To make the tie cut 4 -5 strips of remaining fabric that are 3 inches wide.
I like my ties really long so I can wrap it around my back and tie it in the front but
you can make your ties as long or as short as you want.

Sew the strips to together to make one really long strip.
Follow the instruction below on the picture to make your tie


Adjust the tie to your liking and there you have it
The Best Adjustable Apron!!!


You can also adjust everything and make mini versions for the kiddos

Hope this was helpful for all who want to make some aprons

LINKING UP TO:
SISTER STUFF
SHARE THE LOVE @ {My Domestic Design}

23 comments:

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I tried making a reversible adjustable apron without a tutorial or pattern. I did not turn out like I wanted. I gave up hope on getting it
But reading this I can see exactly what I did wrong, so I'm gonna try it again.

Becky said...

Cute Apron! I love that pattern. Come share it with more people! ‎{Share the Love} link up party is starting tomorrow at mydomesticdesign.com!

Dawn said...

What is the best kind of fabric for this? I am making a chef's apron for a preteen who likes to bake. So I want it to be appropriate/fun for him, but also hold up well.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, it is exactly what my daughter wants for Christmas. Finding this was a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you VERY much for sharing this! . This is a huge help to me as i plan a girls group sewing activity! I am very grateful for your kindness in taking the time to post this. Very helpful!!

maggiesmum said...

Thank you x this is a fabby tutorial 😊

MandaRae said...

Thank You!! I'm sick of all the frilly fancy aprons I find when searching for patterns! I plan on adding egg pockets to thing for egg collecting ��

Betty said...

hi i like the pattern, could you tell me what is the best fabric to use

Unknown said...

Question how long did you make the strips for the tie?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering too about the length for the ties.

sassylady said...

I need the length of the ties also :)

Unknown said...

You can get a good length for the ties by taking a piece of string, or rope, or ribbon, and running it through the casing and adjusting it. Then take it out and measure the length you used. You could even use 1" grosgrain ribbon for the tie.

Anonymous said...

I made this apron today, came out perfect! Thank you

terrie lynn said...

Cotton blend with polyester

terrie lynn said...

About 20 inches

Unknown said...

Could you please send measurements for six to ten year children (approximate for usual apron sizes).

Crystal said...

Finished it today for my Mom...she's gonna love it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

So cute love it I'm going to do that.

seapeau said...

company website look here Learn More have a peek here reference useful content

tepear said...

p6k42e4v40 e6q09o9e36 t4e48c1o41 s2z60i8l95 r9q90b5m10 x2a71u5x77

Anonymous said...

bapesta shoes
supreme sweatshirt
yeezy boost 350
bape hoodie
golden goose outlet
golden goose shoes
steph curry shoes
spongebob kyrie 5
yeezy boost 350
kyrie irving shoes

Vilma lecce said...

Hola,hermoso 13.5 iches cuantos centímetros serían,soy de Argentina y usamos medidas en metro o centímetro, Gracias

Anonymous said...

Making this for my husband.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...